On Mar-18, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried making an RPM .spec file for parrot and noticed that there's
> still no "make install" target.
>
> To be useful or at least fun to play with I think we would need to
> also install things from languages/, but they seem to generally be,
> uh, fairly unstructured.  :-)

I've attached a proof-of-concept patch that I'd like people to comment
on in terms of general approach. I made a new MANIFEST.detailed that
is the master record of all files as well as what should be done with
them. (I haven't done this part yet, but I was thinking the plain
MANIFEST could be autogenerated from this file but still committed to
CVS.) MANIFEST.detailed in addition to listing files, also gives
metadata for each file -- in particular, which sub-RPM (if any) a file
should go into. It also includes any generated files that will need to
make it into some RPM.

I also provided a parrot.spec file that, in combination with
tools/mk_manifests.pl, will create a parrot RPM, a parrot-devel RPM,
and an RPM for each of the languages. (For now, at least, those should
probably all be wrapped up into a single parrot-languages RPM.)

My current implementation is quite messy, but it should give an idea
for what I'm talking about.