On Fri 27 Jun 2003 17:19, John Peacock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now that I have a subversion repository of the APC (All Perl Changes) on a
> machine that is largely unloaded, I can set up a smoke process nightly.  In
> order to do that, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) When running `perl Makefile.pl`

Newer Test::Smoke's ask you to run 'perl configsmoke.pl' instead

>    it asks me where to install the code; I'm  guessing that this is so it
>    doesn't live in the ordinary Perl lib tree.  As long as that directory
>    is in the path for the user running the smokes, that is fine, right?

Yes. The 'smokecurrent.sh' script that is generated from 'perl configsmoke.pl'
adds the smoke path to $PATH before continuing with the real process

> 2) Since I already will have a fully synced subversion repository, I don't
>    need most of the functionality of Test::Smoke::Syncer.  Has anyone already

Same problem here, but I sync manually (by a script) and start the smoke with
--nosync. One of the problems I face is the need for very many reboots because
of a broken screen :(

>    started work on Test::Smoke::Syncer::Subversion yet, or am I free to play
>    with it?

Abe now maintains the stuff. He's always open for improvements :)

> I am guessing that I will use T::S::S::Hardlink with a source of a Subversion
> working copy.
>
> 3) Once I am smoking bleadperl, I'll add the 5.8.x smoke as well (using `svn
>    switch` on my hdir and T::S::S::Hardlink again.  Comments???

Go for it :)

FWIW Abe's laters internal build is here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ztreet/perl/
     THIS IS NOT A PRODUCTION VERSION! Use at own risk.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0 & 633 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,