On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> >It would be entirely possible for Parrot (or a Parrot library) to
> >use AIO at a low level, without introducing interrupts to the VM layer.

> Sure. But what'd be the point? Adding in interrupts allows a number
> of high-performance idioms that aren't available without them. They
> certainly won't be required, and most of the IO you'll see done will
> be entirely synchronous, since that's what most compilers will be
> spitting out. You don't *have* to use IO callbacks, you just can if
> you want to.

Hey Dan,

I'm just curious... When you say IO callbacks, does that
mean external C code calling back into the parrot VM?

I wrote a python interface to the win32 MIDI routines a
while back. At first I just called the DLL and that worked
fine for output, but if I tried to read MIDI events, it
didn't work: I'd press a note on the keyboard and python
would crash. The fix was to actually write a C module
that locked the interpreter whenever it received
a callback.

Will that kind of locking be necessary in parrot, or
would these IO callbacks allow outside DLL's to
callback to parrot code automatically?

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.