Hey all,

I've been thinking about the "compiling python to
parrot" concept. Right now it looks like the
approach is to start from scratch, but I'm
wondering if it might make more sense to
leverage python itself, at least for now?

Python has a compiler module (written in python
and standard with the distribution) that can
take a python parse tree and produce python
byte code. It basically just walks the tree
and has a method for each python structure.

The actual parser is written in c, but there's
a drop-in replacement (or at least a partial one)
written in python described here:

  http://codespeak.net/moin/pypy/moin.cgi/BytecodeCompiler

Would it make sense to use this to boostrap the
python parrot compiler? I was thinking about taking
a shot next week at replacing compiler.pycodegen.CodeGenerator
with something that produced IMCC.

The thing is, I don't have a lot of experience when
it comes to compilers, but I do know a whole lot about
python. :) If this approach makes sense, is there
someone with IMCC experience who'd be willing to do
some virtual pair programming with me and spike out
a prototype?

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.