Amir Karger wrote:
A couple more questions on the coding front:

(2) WinFrotz, one of the popular C Z-machine runtimes, is GPL. If I
steal code or ideas from there, does Parrot or this piece of it have to
be GPL only instead of GPL/Artistic? I am happily ignorant about
licensing issues.

Hi,

I have the same question for my 'GNU m4' port to Parrot and Perl5,
http://www.schmalhofer.info/schmalhofer/bernhard/projects/m4/.

In the FAQ I found following:
# License compatibility.
Parrot has an odd license -- it currently uses the same license as Perl 5, which is the disjunction of the GNU GPL and the Artistic License, which can be written (Artistic|GPL) for short. Thus, Parrot's license is compatible with the GNU GPL, which means you can combine Parrot with GPL'ed code.

Code accepted into the core interpreter must fall under the same terms as parrot. Library code (for example the ICU library we're using for Unicode) we link into the interpreter can be covered by other licenses so long as their terms don't prohibit this.

This is the way I understand it:
i. I can take GPLed code and derive <MyLanguage> from it.
ii. <MyLanguage> is still under GPL
iii. <MyLanguage> can become part of the Parrot core or be distributed with Parrot

Did I understand that correctly?

CU, Bernhard

-- ************************************************* Bernhard Schmalhofer Senior Developer

Biomax Informatics AG