  >> the designs range from a total code conversion, load and translate
  >> the zcode into equivilent imcc. this should be the easiest to do as
  >> you just need to write a code generator for each zcode op. you can
  >> fake a stack in imcc using a PMC array or someother technique. just
  >> have all the zcode stack opcodes use the pmc based stack in the
  >> translation. this could be done in pure perl as well and run
  >> offline to generate imcc code. this would still run directly on
  >> parrot but use its existing set of opcodes

  AK> [Sound of head hitting desk]

poor desk!! :)

  AK> Oh! You're saying that instead of pure perl I could write the
  AK> disassembler and translator in PASM. I think I've gotten so used
  AK> to Perl being the best job for translating from one bytestream to
  AK> another that I never imagined using PASM itself, but of course
  AK> that's what the aforementioned Befunge & Ook translators do.

it could be done either way.

  AK> Well, that will certainly be more work than doing it in Perl, but OTOH,
  AK> it'll probably be a great tutorial in PASM.

yes, it would. i would do a perl version first just to get it up and
running. your idea to write a test game and compile it to a few common
op codes sounds reasonable. then you can do a simple zcode to pasm/imcc
translator. even if you only get add working, it is a signifigant first
step. then you can add ops and work on a native pasm/imcc version if you
want.

  AK> And reading Dan's post, it looks like that's what he's thinking of,
  AK> too. And since I can't imagine we'll get *three* people to agree on
  AK> anything, I think I'll start trying to do that.

hard to read dan sometimes. :)

  AK> I'll get back to you in six months or so :)

we require weekly status reports with 10 minute granularity on what you
are working on. this is standard for all parrot projects.

uri

belated :-)

--
Uri Guttman  ------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com