On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The easy-to-optimise case should be the easy-to-type case; otherwise a lot
> of optimisation that should be possible isn't because the programmers are
> too inexperienced/lazy/confused to put the "closed" tags in.

The thinking at the last design meeting was that you'd explicitly say
"Consider this class closed; I won't muck with it in this application"
at compile time if you need the extra optimization in a particular
application.

It's up to the user of a library to ask for that much optimization, not
the library designer to consult the entrails whether anyone might ever
possibly consider wanting to do something he didn't foresee.

-- c