----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Lomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pete Lomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:20 PM
Subject: Re: configure on windows

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:46:32 +0000, Pete Lomax
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I got 'bad command or file name' because line 12 of
> >config\init\hints.pl is:
> >  my $hints = "config/init/hints/" . lc($^O) . ".pl";
> PS: that was the dos error, shouldn't there be an and/or die thing
> somewhere near it?
My first guess is that perl or your compiler is not in your path (where your
system looks for stuff to execute).  If the problem is that perl isn't
there, a reboot may be needed if you haven't done one since the install -
paths are sometimes not re-evaluated until a reboot.  If that doesn't do it,
you'll need to add it to the path environment variable manually.

Doing your change just appears to cause the win32 hints file not to be
loaded - which causes configure to fail later.  You can check this by
putting "monkey" instead of "perl" before the filename and seeing if you get
the same effect.

The DOS error you get is most likely due to something done in the mswin32.pl
hint file, or something that happens later.  If you're still having "fun",
three things that'll help me find the cause are:-

1) Without your changes, do:-
perl Configure.pl
And post the output.

2) Type:-
perl
What happens?

3) What compiler are you planning to use?  Type each of the following:-
cl
bcc32
gcc
If all three of them give Bad Command Or File Name error then the reason is
that you haven't got a C compiler in your system path.

Thanks,

Jonathan