Pete Lomax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
> I've only just installed perl. Running Configure.pl on a windows box,
> I got 'bad command or file name' because line 12 of
> config\init\hints.pl is:
>   my $hints = "config/init/hints/" . lc($^O) . ".pl";
> I had to change it to:
>   my $hints = "perl config/init/hints/" . lc($^O) . ".pl";
>
> I'll carry on editing lines by hand, just though I should mention it.

This is very strange. Last time I tested it Configure.pl runs under
windows without any changes.

The main question is: what do you want to get from this?
$hints is passed to do, which reads the file and evals it in the
current interpreter.

Normaly this "bad command or file name" come form failing system
calls. But there is no system in hints.pl nor in hints/mswin32.pl.
When playing around with windows it has bitten me sometimes that
stdout and stderr are not really in sync. So the error could be well
one test later or earlier.

What is your Configure line? Is cl.exe (Visual compiler is the default
on windows) in your PATH or did you pass the right --cc= flag.

Sometimes I find Configure.pl a bit brief when you debugg things like
that. It might be a good idea to add a --verbose flag, which gives
some status information on the things that get done.

bye
boe
--
Juergen Boemmels                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fachbereich Physik                      Tel: ++49-(0)631-205-2817