On Wed 17 Dec 2003 15:11, Arthur Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 02:06  pm, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>

> > Well... yes and no. You need to make sure Parrot links against the
> > thread libraries. You don't, strictly speaking, need to have perl
> > linked against the threading libraries except... several (perhaps
> > most) platforms *really*  hate it when you dlopen (or its equivalent)
> > the thread libraries and *haven't* linked your main executable against
> > them. Tends to crash or lock up your process, which kind of sucks.
> >
> > If you have it such that parrot is linked directly into the main perl
> > executable so that it's loaded as part of the process startup, then
> > you don't need to link in the thread libraries to perl. If you're
> > to build a threaded perl for this, FWIW, you just need to make sure
> > perl loads in the thread library)
> > --
> >                                         Dan
> >

> Yes, but making sure perl loads the thread library is pretty much the
> same as saying that perl needs be threaded :).

I don't agree. All my HP-UX perls are non-threaded, but have libcl and
libpthread linked in to enable DBD::Oracle later on which will not build/run
if one does not link them to perl

Building a threaded perl (I read this as: perl supports threads) will give me
a 25% performance hit on HP-UX which I am not willing to take

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,