On 18 December 2003 21:44 Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> I can add local symlinks
> and hardlinks.  I'll compute ownership out-of-band and compare it
> to the test result though... I wouldn't want someone extracting
> this as joebloe to fail because the uid wasn't root. :)

Another thing to bear in mind ... is this a Unix-like only module? If not, then
symlinks will be a no go. Win32 doesn't support them, and I would imagine there are
other OSs in the same position.

Computing ownership on Win32 can be done via the Win32::LoginName(),
Win32::NetAdmin::LocalGroupGetMembers() and Win32::NetAdmin::GroupGetMembers()
functions if you wanted a separate Win32 test script, otherwise as soon as you start
calling Unixy admin programs your distribution will likely get labelled (wrongly)
under CPAN testing as 'NA' on other OSs.

Barbie.
--
Barbie (@missbarbell.co.uk) | Birmingham Perl Mongers | http://birmingham.pm.org/