Mitchell N Charity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And RetContinuation segfaulting when used twice becomes acceptable
> behavior under this model.  Sigh.

No. Segfaults aren't accetable. I've already outlined a scheme to
disable this optimization. It's currently not done but its simple: If
ever a Continuation is created, the RetContinuation recycling will be
turned off, in the absence of better hints that they are sill usable
safely.

If there are other possible paths that a RetContinuation can be reused,
the optimization will be turned off. If that's not detectable, then the
optimization can only be turned on by user demand.

> I nominate this optimization for the "Winter 2004 tweak most likely to
> make parrot unstable and undebuggable" award. ;)

I've clearly indicated that it isn't finished yet. Its not integrated,
its easy to turn it off and so on. But if we ever want some kind of
function call performance (not only method calls - remember) then we
need this or something very similar.

> Blech.
> Mitchell

leo