Kara Perlistoj,

the zip operator is a useful one. I like it a lot. But I've been writing
zip() all the time, even though I think an infix operator is nicer. (Not
for for though, because you also have commas in the pointy sub's
parameter list.)

However, the broken bar is in my opinion a bad choice. As some have
pointed out, because the similarity with |. Historically, 1, l, I and |
have always aided in obfuscation. Adding a(nother) broken bar to it
would be a mistake.

One obvious reason for reaching out to unicode characters is the
restricted number of non-alphanumeric characters in ASCII. But why do
infix operators have to be non-alphanumeric? It has never been a problem
for 'x', has it? And with Perl 6 we even get an infix xx operator.

I think the ?(yen) suggestion is great, especially since it does indeed
look like a zipper. Still, I would very much like an ASCII infix
alternative for zip().

I propose z as the ASCII alternative for the infix zip operator (either
broken bar or yen). With some imagination, it is a good candidate for
representing interleaving. Besides that, zip() starts with a z so it is
easy to remember even if you don't think it looks like something that
zips.

Regards,

Juerd