[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Sugalski) writes:

[...]

> #s 3&4 deal with security. This... this is a dodgier issue. Security's
> easy to get wrong and hard to get right. (Though quotas are
> straightforward enough. Mostly) And once the framework's in place,
> there's the issue of performance--how do we get good performance in
> the common (insecure) case without sacrificing security in the secure case?

You might wish to consider a modular design here, similar to linux 2.6's
security modules (LSM)

  http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/papers/module/x47.html

IMO, the advantage would be that parrot apps will have a better idea
of what security model is appropriate. So if the modular security hooks
can be made cheap enough, the more vexing security/performance tradeoffs
can be left up to the parrot apps.

No clue how to achieve this though- just a thought from a member of the
peanut gallery.
--
Joe Schaefer