On 4/6/2004 11:06 AM, Dan Sugalski wrote:
At 6:12 AM -0400 4/4/04, Randy W. Sims wrote:
[Scheme 1: hierarchy munging]

[Scheme 2: loadable-library style plugins]

Is there anything in the above that stands out as potentially being problematic?

Well, there are a lot of languages that really dislike having their inheritance hierarchy change at runtime, so the first scheme might be rather problematic. (I also think it's likely a really bad misuse of inheritance, but that's a matter of opinion) Scheme 2 is also much safer from a pure security standpoint. Personally it's what I'd prefer.

Design-wise, that pretty well sums up my opinion also. Unfortunately, I think I'm outnumbered. :( I think I was rather hoping for a technical knockout with a language iteroperability argument, but...

Can you really have a perl class inherit from a ruby class which inherits from a python class which inherits from a perl class, etc, etc, ad nauseam?

Thanks,
Randy.

BTW, Is there going to be a seperate mailing-list for module authors making the transition to Parrot and Perl 6? I'm not sure if topics like this are appropriate for this list.