> Just came across an interesting quirk with the current usage of
> ICU--if you do it, you can't run parrot unless your current directory
> is the base parrot directory. Trying it from elsewhere throws a
> "string_set_data_directory: ICU data files not found" error.
>
> Symlinking parrot's blib/ dir into the current dir works as a
> workaround, but we need to do something a bit more permanent. (If
> this means we need to work on an actual functioning install target,
> well... that's OK too)

TT (Tangentially Topical): it would be nice if Parrot could avoid as
many hardcoded paths as possible for configs, libraries, and such, so
that the Parrot installation could be relocated as freely as possible.
(Finding stuff relative to the executable/DLL would be coolest scheme,
but that is admittedly somewhat tricky to get working cross-platform.
Environment variables are another possibility-- but that in turn raises
"interesting" security issues.)