On Apr 15, 2004, at 3:03 AM, Nicholas Clark wrote:

But all this is from memory, and in turn for #! invocation one can always
parse the #! line to work out where the interpreter was (mmm. race
condition)

And a race isn't too bad here actually--even if we know the path reliably, it's always possible to move or alter the resources which we're trying to locate, at any time (before, during, or after launching the process). So we need to treat them with as much skepticism as anything else on the file system.

And for parrot-the-executable we should offer a command-line parameter to override the location. That would give people an escape hatch for special situations (for instance, if you are going to chroot or something).

JEff