At 6:23 PM +0300 4/15/04, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:
At 8:20 AM +0300 4/15/04, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

TT (Tangentially Topical): it would be nice if Parrot could avoid as
many hardcoded paths as possible for configs, libraries, and such, so
that the Parrot installation could be relocated as freely as possible.

Well, then...

 Given that everyone's weighing in on this one, it seems worthy of
 sane consideration. (I keep not thinking about this, as I'm used to
 the nicely sane VMS logical system :)

Brag :-)

:-P

(in case someone is wondering, the VMS "logicals" nicely solve this
problem, basically by each piece of software being installed into and
used/accessed throuh a "super environment variable"-- so basically Dan
can't understand why us others are having these problems and talk of it
as a new fancy thing :-)

Oh, and have I mentioned they're group and system wide, persistent, group-protected, and leveled by protection, so they're actually safe to trust? (So if you look for an entry in a system logical table you can trust it, since someone needed compromise-the-world privs to set it in the first place so you've got bigger things to worry about if it's bad? :)

Not to, y'know, show off or anything. :)
--
                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk