On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:00:53 -0400 (EDT), Andrew Dougherty wrote:

> You might want to review the patch I submitted about a year and a half ago
> -- it's # 18319, and it included some (but certainly not all) of your good
> ideas.

Thanks, I'll do that.

> I gather parrot's now trying to include stuff compiled with C++, so you'll
> also need a macro for that.  Furhter, if parrot's going to include stuff
> compiled with C++, the "Linker"  will have to be a command that correctly
> handles C and C++.  On Unix systems, that's probably just the C++
> compiler.  I don't know what it is on Windows or VMS.

IMHO, we are currently talking C only, so that shouldn't be a problem.  I
hope anybody tells me if I'm wrong.
Still, I am curious.  Why would the linker need to know about C or C++?
(just didn't manage to take a grip on that thought)

>> The name of the parrot library should blend into the current system (and
>> might even be different for debug builds, eg libparrot_g.so (is that
>> correct?) or parrotd.lib).
>
> For perl5, the direction we went with this issue was to embed the
> different build information into the directory, rather than into the
> library name. That way, you don't have to change all the command lines
[...]

Good enough for me.  I'd say we stick with the regular names.