On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> On Tue 08 Jun 2004 12:35, David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I can recommend PuTTY for windows. Secure, small[1], fast, featureful
> > > and free: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
> > > I'm using it now to ssh from a windows laptop to read email using
> > > mutt in screen.
> >
> > I can get it working with a Windows client, or a Mac client, or a
> > $other_client, but I could never find any combination of voodoo that
> > would work with *all* clients, so that I can disconnect (while leaving
> > mutt running) then reconnect some random time later on some other
> > platform and have it Just Work and have odd characters show up correctly.
> > TERM=vt100 was the only way to get consistent results.  Yes, I tried
> > putty.  I also tried cygwin/xfree86/xterm/openssh, to no avail.
>
> isn't that what 'screen' is for?

Nope. Screen doesn't handle shifting terminal types, and even if it did it
wouldn't help much as most programs only check the terminal type at
startup. (I run into the same problem, with screen, when shifting back and
forth from gnome terminam windows to OS X terminal windows)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk