On Tue 08 Jun 2004 12:35, David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:30:51AM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:52:32PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > >                                                   But when I'm using a
> > > terminal session, I have found that the only practical way of getting
> > > consistent behaviour wherever I am is to use TERM=vt100.  Windows is, of
> > > course, the main culprit in forcing me to vt100 emulation.
> > I can recommend PuTTY for windows. Secure, small[1], fast, featureful
> > and free: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
> > I'm using it now to ssh from a windows laptop to read email using
> > mutt in screen.
>
> I can get it working with a Windows client, or a Mac client, or a
> $other_client, but I could never find any combination of voodoo that
> would work with *all* clients, so that I can disconnect (while leaving
> mutt running) then reconnect some random time later on some other
> platform and have it Just Work and have odd characters show up correctly.
> TERM=vt100 was the only way to get consistent results.  Yes, I tried
> putty.  I also tried cygwin/xfree86/xterm/openssh, to no avail.

isn't that what 'screen' is for?

--8<--- man screen

SCREEN(1)                                               SCREEN(1)

NAME
       screen - screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation

SYNOPSIS
       screen [ -options ] [ cmd [ args ] ]
       screen -r [[pid.]tty[.host]]
       screen -r sessionowner/[[pid.]tty[.host]]

DESCRIPTION
       Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes  a
       physical  terminal  between  several  processes (typically
       interactive shells).  Each virtual terminal  provides  the
       functions  of  a DEC VT100 terminal and, in addition, sev-
       eral control functions from the ISO 6429  (ECMA  48,  ANSI
       X3.64) and ISO 2022 standards (e.g. insert/delete line and
       support for multiple character sets).  There is a  scroll-
       back  history buffer for each virtual terminal and a copy-
       and-paste  mechanism  that  allows  moving  text   regions
       between windows.

       When  screen  is called, it creates a single window with a
       shell in it (or the specified command) and then  gets  out
:
:
-->8---

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.3, & 5.9.x, and 809 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,