At 7:04 PM -0400 8/9/04, Benjamin K. Stuhl wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:

Since we're running into Ponie issues with this, which means we'll run into Apache issues as well as any number of other systems....

When Parrot's being embedded I can see the following functions needing overriding by the embedder:

*) Memory: malloc, realloc, calloc, free
*) Signals: handler register, Handler un-register, signal raise, alarm set
*) Files: Open, close, seek, tell, read, write. (Possibly asynchronously)

*) Environment: getenv, setenv

Good point.

  *) Threading/Process manipulation? (fork, spawn, wait, pthread_*) (Consider
     an application built on a runtime that expects to know about all threads
     in a process, or an embedder who wants to let their Parrot programs call
     back into the main program or integrate into their main event loop.)

I'm not so sure about these, though I can see wanting to override them. I think I'll leave them off for now and we can add them later.

* Networking: socket, accept, connect, listen, etc. (see "Files")

Yeah, and this'll be ever so much fun too. We need to add in select and poll to that list.

A good place to look at for the complete list is Perl 5's system abstraction
layer.

Yeah. If you've got time to get a list I'd very much appreciate it. -- Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk