Dan writes:
> Anyway, there *is* a threefold plan, involving quotas,
> privileges/capabilities, and restricted embedding environments.

If there's a link out there, I must've missed it.  Is there one?

> >    clock time (ulimit style)
>
> This'd be a per-interpreter, per-user quota.

Depending on how 'interpreter' is to be, ah, interpreted, that may
be too large a grain -- a language may want to have a set-up period
during which the rules don't apply, and also a thread (for monitoring
purposes, or other) to which the rules apply or don't.  e.g.,

#!//googlestorage/programs/concurrent_basic.08012005
10 ? "HELLO WORLD! NOW DOING SETUP"
20 USE MODULE IRC::SERVER
30 USE REMOTE ALLOW PUBLIC :LOW-QUOTA TO GOSUB 60 IN PARALLEL
40 GOSUB IRC::SERVER::SETUP " counts against perms/quota in this interp?
50 GOTO DO_INTERESTING_STUFF " does not return; counts against perms/quota?
60 ARGUMENT X
70 PRINT X TO REMOTES
80 RETURN

If by interpreter you mean thread then I'm with you, though.  Or if
each thread has-a new interpreter, that also is the good stuff.

> [...]
> Quotas.
> [...]
> Privileges
> [...]
> Also privileges.
> [...]
> Privs, possibly quotas and the embedding environment for IO and event
> type things.

You've got it covered.  So where's the spec?

> >Is anyone aware of any reason why the straightforward approach --
> >[...] would not be the best solution?
>
> Mainly because it's a bit too restrictive.

Man, I thought I had a bad case of second systems effect...but you're
working on, like, ninth.  I genuflect.

> What I'm planning on is a VMS-style quota, privilege, and identifier
> system.

Pagan heretic -- you shall burn in the purifying flames of RSTS/E!

>(Or, rather, an extendable privilege system where extra privs
> can be defined and set/reset) Nothing too fancy, but expressive
> enough to allow for reasonable control over restricted interpreters.

Can you provide a short example of what 'extra privs can be defined
and set/reset' means?  I haven't touched VMS in about two decades.

Felix