Well, after I had something that made comparing
differences easier, I reverted back CVS.  While I
noticed a speed difference, it was very minor which
means the significant speed bump is likely related to
something non-parrot related.  I am going to rebuild
the latest/greatest gcc on Monday to see if I can't
get back to what I was seeing before.

Either way - I think it is a good thing to keep track
of our performance impact when making changes -
perhaps I will get more motivated and make the code a
bit more robust and use parrotbench instead of my
homegrown stuff.

Cheers
Joshua Gatcomb
a.k.a. Limbic~Region