mAsterdam> Reading the thread I was reminded of the
mAsterdam> unclarity of the status of perl newsgroups.

mAsterdam> You advised Rafael Garcia-Suarez to either use a group
mAsterdam> (c.l.p.announce) or to entertain a proposal to cancel it.
mAsterdam> Well, that is a good idea. Expanding on that:
mAsterdam> A lot of the groups in the list served a purpose at some
mAsterdam> time but are dead now.

A group that begins "perl.*" is not a Usenet news group.  It may be
carried amongst cooperating NNTP servers, but it doesn't have the same
status as a group that begins "comp.*", which is run by more-or-less
formal means according to Usenet policy.

Hence, my puzzlement.  I was talking about a Usenet group (and
starting the formal process to abandon it), and you brought up some
random non-Usenet groups.