At Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:46:34 +0200,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juerd) wrote:
> I also think POD should be overhauled completely. I've been thinking
> about proposing something like:
>
>     sub foo (
>         Foo::Bar    $bar,
>         Quux::Xyzzy $xyzzy,
>         +$verbose,
>         +$foo
>     ) description {
>         Calculates the foo-intersection of $bar and $xyzzy, optionally
>         blah blah blah...
>     } returns Array | undef {
>         # real code here
>     }
>
> which would get rendered as:
>
>     &foo (Foo::Bar $bar, Quux::Xyzzy $xyzzy, +$verbose, +$foo)
>     returns Array | undef;
>
>         Calculate the foo-intersection of $bar and $xyzzy, optionally
>         blah blah blah...

I also think something like this is a great idea -- I've been doing a
lot of programming in Octave and Emacs Lisp, and the latter's
generated documentation makes it possible to program what would
otherwise be a completely baroque and unmanageable system.  But I
wouldn't go for the syntax you have above.  Why not just do it with a
property, then ship with a doc-generator that makes use of it?

    sub foo($x is rw, $y) is doc <<.
        Does some stuff, then frobs $x without mercy.
    .
    {
        # ...
    }