Michael G Schwern writes:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:11:06AM -0000, Clayton, Nik wrote:
> > Name suggestions gratefully received.  I wanted something short, to make
> > it easier than "ok(1 == 1, "");", and ok2() fits in with the historical
> > naming of functions like wait(), wait2(), wait3(), wait4(), and so on.
>
> You can almost always come up with something better than just numbering
> the functions.

The numbers in wait3 and wait4 actually have the same source as the 2 in
dup2.  It's not a lame 'revision number' or anything like that, although
the /\d$/ functions were invented later.  Instead, the number represents
how many arguments the function takes: wait3 is a 3-argument wait, dup2
is a 2-argument dup, and so on.  This also explains why there's no wait2
function.

If you were to apply the same naming scheme here, you'd therefore
actually get C<ok1(1 == 1)>.

--
Aaron Crane