On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:15:13AM +0000, Ben Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 05:35:53AM -0500, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > Tripped across this on WardsWiki just now.  #5 is my favorite as its often
> > forgotten in the noise.

"Oh, the noise! Oh, the noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!
 That's one thing he hated! The NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!"

To repeat #5, coding style is about communication.

The goal of style is not to enforce consistency.  It is to make the code
easier to read.  They allow one programmer to talk to the other through
the code without a lot of unnecessary in-the-head translation going on.

Style should not get bogged down in syntactical issues, and we Perl
programmers love our syntax.  Thank you all for the demonstration.

The tricker problems are the higher order problems.  How are variables
and methods named?  When do we split something off into a method?  Into
its own file?  When do we use OO when do we use functions?  What's the
preferred date handling module?  What are the error handling conventions?
What are the *abstractions*?

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
OH GOD!!  It's LINUX!  All you Linux fanboys go wild!  It never crashes!