On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:36:10AM +0200, Abigail wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 05:21:01PM +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, upgrading isn't always an option.  Anyone can type
> >
> >   $ ./Configure -des && make && make test install
> >
> > but putting the results of such a command into a base operating system
> > installation, testing that said operating system functions correctly
> > with hundreds of (often badly written) scripts installing databases and
> > middleware and who-knows-what, and ensuring that thousands of apps
> > running on tens of thousands of machines in dozens of different
> > configurations function at least as well as they did before is a little
> > harder.
>
> Well, if anyone can type the above, they can also type:
>
>     $ ./Configure -des --prefix=/opt/perl58 && make && make test install
>
> and use the appropriate #! line.

Yes.  I wrote later that I knew how to manage the problem.  My point was
that it is not always possible to do so for a variety of reasons.  In
very broad terms, module authors can either take the hard line and say
"I will force you to upgrade or you won't use my module" or they can say
"I feel your pain and I will share it".  How far each author goes down
the backwards compatibility route is obviously up to them, and as a
volunteer effort no one has any right to get upset about their decision.

But I known which set are endearing themselves to me right now ;-)

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net