Hi,

Tels wrote:
Since for security reasons your Perl box is not connected to the net, you fetch it and all dependencies from CPAN and transfer them via sneaker net and USB stick. It includes some gems like:

A solution to the sneakernet problem is to have your own CPAN mirror, either on a machine that is connected to the net and accessible from your Perl box, or on a CD.

I am all for putting often used stuff into extra modules, but I think this has gone way to far, especially the user will go through all this just so that Random-Module-0.01 can run it's freaky test suite....

I agree to some extent. I try to avoid non-standard testing modules in my distributions, or I use them but skip the tests if the dependency is not found. Another option for authors is to bundle the required testing modules with their distributions (I think Module::Install has a facility for that; note that the bundled testing modules are not installed).

Cheers,
Ivan