On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:56:09AM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
: I don't know how long this EuroOSCON net is going to stay up, so I'll be
: brief.  I think we're having a new "class" sigil.  Where we've been
: writing ::T, that will revert to meaning "an existing class T that
: we just might not see the declaration of for dynamic reasons".  Instead,
: the new sigil is the cent sign, so ::T is now written ¢T instead.
:
: In addition, it doesn't automatically bind to T like we were making ::T
: do, so you have to use it consistently:
:
:     sub sametype (¢T $x, ¢T $y) {...}

Another thing I didn't mention is that that binds both the variable
and its class.  But the $ variable is of course optional after the
type, so you could just write that

    sub sametype (¢T, ¢T) {...}

if you don't actually care about $x and $y.  Basically, ¢T captures
the type of the associated scalar in any lvalue or declarative context,
whether or not hte scalar itself is captured.

Sorry for all the short notes--we still don't know how long this OSCON
net will be up before they take it down.

Larry