On Monday 30 January 2006 20:40, Adam Kennedy wrote:

> Incremental releasing is a toolchain problem.

Having to rerelease more than one module and making every one of my users
upgrade every module that uses this tool -- not just my one or more modules
-- rather than making every one who uses the tool upgrade just the tool is a
bigger problem.

I might be missing something here, but the math for the "Oh no, there's a
problem in the tool" doesn't seem to favor Module::Install.  If there's a
problem in the build tool:

With Module::Build or MakeMaker:

        - either (Ken and Randy) or Schwern have to upload a new version to the
CPAN
        - everyone who wants to get the bugfix has to install the new version,
once
per installation

With Module::Install:

        - you or Ingy or Audrey have to upload a new version to the CPAN
        - everyone who wants to get the bugfix has to install the new version,
once
per installation
        - everyone who wants to use the bugfixed version has to release a new
version
of each module that uses it
        - everyone who wants to use the buildbugfixed version of each new
module has
to install each distribution, once per installation

I don't say this often, but that really doesn't seem scalable to me.  If I
have to re-release a distribution because of a bug in the build system that
users can't upgrade on their own, the build system sucks for my purposes.

Now I know you and Ingy and Audrey and Jesse are all very smart, so am I
completely misunderstanding things?

-- c