Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
It's not that simple a problem, exactly. The PPM build servers are all running
one the first ActivePerl release for that platform.  That way, forward binary
compatibility can be guaranteed going forward.

I wondered if that was the cause of it. Still, that means that you're more or less frozen in time at 2002 when 5.8 first came out. How long is the AS support window intended to be?

The main reason this is hapenning is that it's not currently possible to update
CORE packages in ActivePerl, so any module that depends on a CORE package can
be suffering from this. This problem will persist until it becomes possible to
update core packages in ActivePerl.

What's behind this limitation? Out of curiosity, I tried to "install -force" Scalar-List-Utils-1.18 from the theoryx PPM repository at uwinnipeg.ca and it seems to have worked just fine -- the only issue is that it installs it in c:/perl/site/lib, which comes after c:/perl/lib in the @INC directory. Yet, somehow I can't believe a fix is as simple as reversing that order, allowing user-installed upgrades to be found first in preference to the core modules.

It's certainly not an ideal situation, but unless somebody can point out an
easier solution, this is where we are at.

An obvious, though resource intensive one, is to move from one single 8xx repository to several 8nx repositories -- one for each minor release.

Perhaps more realistic approach might be to have the 8xx repository as is (always building against the first release at that major) and just *one* 8NX repository that always builds against the *latest* release (whatever that is at any point in time).

Regards,
David Golden