On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, chromatic wrote:

> On Monday 19 March 2007 12:22, Andy Dougherty wrote:
>
> > I found the ticket that introduced this failing behavior, so I'm resending
> > my message below with a fixed-up subject line to enter into RT.  In brief,
> > this patch incorrectly assumes that all compilers accept a '-h', '--help',
> > or '/?' switch.  Any compiler that doesn't is deemed 'not found', and
> > there is no way to override it.  Extending the list of options to try is
> > not a sensible forward-looking portable strategy.
>
> I realize this patch precludes cross-compilation at the moment, but does it
> work better for you, Andy?

Alas, no.  Here's what I get (again with --verbose=2).  I don't know why
it's reporting that the compiler is failling, and I don't know how to
coax Configure to give me any more information (short of sprinking
printf()s throughout).

I can definitely compile that test program with the indicated flags.  I
don't have time to look at this further, however.

Determining what C compiler and linker to use...
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        cc => 'cc',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        link => 'cc',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        ld => 'cc',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        ccflags => '-I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        linkflags => ' -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib ',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        ldflags => ' -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib ',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        libs => '-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        cxx => 'c++',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        cc_debug => '',
        link_debug => '',
        ld_debug => '',
);
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        ccwarn => '',
);
cc -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I./include
-c test.c
Compilation failed with 'cc'

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]