On 4/24/07 6:31 PM, Nikolay Ananiev wrote:
> As we all know, parrot has been in development for 7 years now. That's a lot
> of time and many things have changed since then. From my point of view one of
> the biggest strengths of Parrot is that it's a target for many (and why not
> all?) dynamic languages and as I know there's no other VM like it. Well...
> since now.
>
> Check this article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=404 Microsoft
> announces a dynamic layer for CLR, so they will be able to support dynamic
> languages on their VM. And JVM 1.6 already has this, plus it's opensource and
> has support for the mainstream platforms.
>
> So, is one of parrot's biggest strengths gone? Are we too late?
> Why would the developers use Parrot instead of JVM/CLR/Mono?

I think the role Parrot aims to fill is remains unfilled, although it is
being approached from both sides.  Check out this LLVM presentation, for
example:

    http://llvm.org/pubs/2007-03-12-BossaLLVMIntro.html

Look towards the ends of the slides:

    http://llvm.org/pubs/2007-03-12-BossaLLVMIntro.pdf

An excerpt:

    Call for help!

    ­ OSS community needs to unite work on various scripting languages
      ­ Common module to represent/type infer an arbitrary dynamic language
    ­ Who will provide this?  pypy? parrot? llvm itself someday ("hlvm")?

HLVM is actually in progress:

    http://hlvm.org/

Judging by how fast LLVM has progressed since Apple's been backing it
(almost two years now) LLVM/HLVM may be something to watch (or work with...)

-John