On Mon Nov 12 10:43:02 2007, doughera wrote:
> [snip]
>
> After looking into it some, the problem seems to be that these tests
> rely on init::defaults.  That simply won't work if the configuration
> being used to build parrot is sufficiently different from that which
> was used to build perl.  That's what happened to me in this case.
>
> This probably doesn't show up often because nearly everyone building
> parrot right now uses the same configuration as was used to build
> perl.

Ah, Andy, I can always count on you to run tests in a way that they fail
and point up hidden assumptions! ;-)

> However, that's not necessarily the norm.  Vendors such as Sun supply
> a perl pre-built with their compiler, but many end users have gcc
> installed instead.
>
> If a test for a configuration step relies on certain Config values,
> the
> only correct approach is to use the Config values determined by
> Configure.pl.  There is no guarantee that the init::defaults values
> will
> work.  They may well have been changed, either by the user (via --ask
> or
> command line overrides) or by the Configure.pl system itself.

Agreed.  This first became apparent in the discussion found in
https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=47127, particularly
http://tinyurl.com/26mobo.  As I wrote there, I've been trying to write
tests for the config steps so that they don't take excessive time or
resources -- but that has to be balanced against the fact that later
steps depend on earlier steps in which values set in init::defaults may
have been subsequently overridden.

I will try to repair these tests, and I would ask that you give me rapid
feedback on the patches I post, as I cannot replicate the errors you
have pointed out.  But I also would like to note that this points out
that our reliance on Perl 5's %Config is showing its age.

kid51