I'll reply to the rest of this (if someone doesn't beat me to it)
tomorrow, but just wanted to comment on your closing comment:

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 22:25 -0700, jerry gay wrote:
> that's an install tree
> policy, and as far as i'm concerned, it hasn't been addressed yet
> (along with many other install-related policies.)

It seems to be time to make these policy decisions, at least on a draft
basis -- because we have considerable volunteer effort being applied to
getting installable packages working.  We should be answering the
necessary policy questions so that said volunteer effort can
simultaneously -Ofun and help Parrot.  We should *not* put this off for
an indefinite future and lose the contribution.

-'f