2008/7/28 jerry gay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:08:06AM -0700, Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:
>>> In the source repository, the 'parrot' in runtime/parrot/foo is
>>> pointless.  It's a singleton directory, and it's redundant.
>>
>> I think that the point of runtime/parrot/ is that we may also
>> someday have runtime/perl6/, runtime/pynie/, runtime/cardinal/,
>> etc. directories, which will be the canonical location for
>> language-specific runtime libraries.
>>
> yes, that was the point at the time it was introduced. however, it
> confuses the source tree with the install tree, and goes against a
> parrot policy.
>
> in the source tree (a.k.a. your working copy), we've set up the
> infrastructure for runtime/ to contain multiple language-level subdirs
> for runtime components (library, include, pmc, etc.) the intent is
> precisely as you suggest above.
>
> however, the project team has set a clear policy which states that in
> the source tree, "languages must be self-contained." this policy is in
> place so it will be easy to transition any language from the parrot
> repository to an external repository. we still have some work to do to
> make this policy both true and easy for hll developers to implement,
> which will happen before parrot 1.0. following the policy, the intent
> is that each language in the source tree have its own runtime
> directory under the language root directory (e.g.
> languages/perl6/runtime/).
>
> if it is determined that installations of the parrot vm and parrot
> hlls will use a common prefix for a runtime root directory (e.g.
> /usr/lib/parrot/runtime/), then runtime components for both the vm and
> hlls may be installed to that shared location. that's an install tree
> policy, and as far as i'm concerned, it hasn't been addressed yet
> (along with many other install-related policies.)

If that is the idea I will be happy to work on such a patch.

But I thought that the generated runtimes go to /usr/lib/parrot/dynpmc and
/usr/lib/parrot/library merged with the libs from the src_dir.

But then the config logic is wrong.
Is there any document which describes how the config logic for
self-contained installables should work so that I can fix it?

It does not work now and I want to package perl6 before 1.0 without
run-time access to several /usr/runtime dirs, so that people can play
with it even in its current state.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/ http://murbreak.at/