On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:54 -0700, chromatic wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 12:35:50 Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:
> > bugfixes that should be backported to one or more already released
> > versions and re-released immediately.
>
> I can see patching the previous release in case of a critical bugfix, but if
> we get in the habit of encouraging users to expect updates of anything older
> than the previous stable release for free, we've doomed the project.

That's why I was careful to say 'one or more'.  As in greater than zero,
but other than that it's a separate policy decision that I was not
trying to address in my previous message.

> Point releases every month.  Major releases every three months.

Agree, except I'd like to hear more about how you define a 'major
release'.

> Complete and
> utter refusal to support users who expect that they can install Parrot 1.0
> and get free support from the mailing list or IRC for the next eight to ten
> years.

Half agree.  I agree that we should only *directly* support a release
for a limited time, though I think the minimum sane time would be "major
release before current one" -- 3-6 months at any given moment, given
your above schedule.  In other words, just because we do a new 3 month
release, doesn't mean we immediately de-support the one we did just 3
months ago.

Now, I might argue for a longer direct support schedule than just 'most
recent + 1', but I think any less than that can't work in real life.

Beyond that, I think we need to explicitly acknowledge that distro
packagers have a longer schedule to care about.  While we may not
support them directly, we still need to have a process in place to make
sure they are notified about critical problems that may apply to
previous releases, so that they can go back and check/patch their
versions.  We should also facilitate any process that will help
different distros to help each other to backport our trunk fixes in a
timely fashion.

In short, we don't have to do the hard work for the distros ourselves,
but we can't leave them out in the cold, either.

-'f