On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:00:24PM +0300, Nikolay Ananiev wrote:

> Today I saw Andrew's last post in his blog about the end of gsoc.
> Since I could not find much information about the NCI and GC projects I'm
> asking here: What's the status of these projects?
> Andrew's last post seems discouraging. How much of the new GC is completed?

It's just about functionally complete, but there are a couple of
difficult-to-debug bugs remaining.  I figured out one of them the other day,
but as with most new GC problems, it'll take a while to find and fix.

> Are we going to have a new GC this year?

Yes.

> What are the main problems that remain and have to be solved?

The overall concepts of the incremental GC are solid, but a couple of details
of the implementation need polishing.  It's difficult to debug these types of
problems, and even more difficult to estimate them.  (In particular,
interleaving GC headers and GC'd elements leads to some troublesome offset
manipulation.)

It's not clear what the best approach to merging is; I should have encouraged
Andrew to work in smaller steps, such that he could run all of the tests after
each change and expect that they'd all pass.

-- c