On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:15 PM, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:00:24PM +0300, Nikolay Ananiev wrote:
>
>> Today I saw Andrew's last post in his blog about the end of gsoc.
>> Since I could not find much information about the NCI and GC projects I'm
>> asking here: What's the status of these projects?
>> Andrew's last post seems discouraging. How much of the new GC is completed?
>
> It's just about functionally complete, but there are a couple of
> difficult-to-debug bugs remaining.  I figured out one of them the other day,
> but as with most new GC problems, it'll take a while to find and fix.
>
>> Are we going to have a new GC this year?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What are the main problems that remain and have to be solved?
>
> The overall concepts of the incremental GC are solid, but a couple of details
> of the implementation need polishing.  It's difficult to debug these types of
> problems, and even more difficult to estimate them.  (In particular,
> interleaving GC headers and GC'd elements leads to some troublesome offset
> manipulation.)
>
> It's not clear what the best approach to merging is; I should have encouraged
> Andrew to work in smaller steps, such that he could run all of the tests after
> each change and expect that they'd all pass.
>
> -- c

You can always try to identify the chunks ex post facto and start the
merge back a chunk at a time; not as easy as identifying the bits
ahead of time, but doable.

If it's *close* (and mostly passing tests) we can always throw it back
into trunk immediately after a monthly release and give ourselves 4
weeks to clean it up.
--
Will "Coke" Coleda