On Monday 25 August 2008, James Keenan via RT wrote:
> On Thu Aug 14 06:03:27 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On my computer (OpenSuse 11.0) the Parrot Configure.pl hangs forever
> > when
> > checking for platfom support for AIO.
> > It appears to be a neverending sleep(1) loop in the check.
> > In the patch I have added a countdown to make it exit after some time,
> > anyway.
>
> Erik:
>
> The patch looks reasonable to me and, at the very least, Does No Harm on
> Linux.  A couple of points/questions:
>
> 1.  After you run 'perl Configure.pl' with this patch on your box, what
> do you get for this:
>
>   grep -ni AIO lib/Parrot/Config/Generated.pm

AIO is not in the file.

(I am not sure that this is the right conclusion. After all, opensuse
has /lib/libaio.so.1  & /lib/libaio.so.1.0.1 indicating that AIO is
supported. It may be more likely that the AIO works fine, but the signal gets
sent before the handler is set up. And that makes it sit waiting for a signal
that does not arrive. So a rewrite of the test program might be the real
solution.)

> 2.  Your patch inspired me to check for other instances of 'sleep' in
> the Parrot configuration system.  I couldn't find any, which is a Good
> Thing, IMHO.
>
> 3.  For future reference, submit bug reports to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I recommend beginning Subject line with:
> [BUG].  And I recommend submitting patches as email attachment ending in
>
> :  .txt  (because that seems to render best in browsers, mail, news
>
> interfaces).

Thanks. I will make sure to use that in the future.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Erik Johansen, Innovation & udvikling

Adapt A/S, Langebrogade 6E, 3. sal, 1411 København K, Tlf. +45 3341 1050