On Tue Aug 26 06:15:19 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2008, James Keenan via RT wrote:
> >
> > 1.  After you run 'perl Configure.pl' with this patch on your box,
> what
> > do you get for this:
> >
> >   grep -ni AIO lib/Parrot/Config/Generated.pm
>
> AIO is not in the file.
>
> (I am not sure that this is the right conclusion. After all, opensuse
> has /lib/libaio.so.1  & /lib/libaio.so.1.0.1 indicating that AIO is
> supported. It may be more likely that the AIO works fine, but the
> signal gets
> sent before the handler is set up. And that makes it sit waiting for a
> signal
> that does not arrive. So a rewrite of the test program might be the
> real
> solution.)

Yes, this is a bit puzzling.  With your patch applied, calling 'perl
Configure.pl' gives me this output:

auto::aio - Does your platform support AIO......................yes.

... and doing the grep I described above gives:

grep -in aio lib/Parrot/Config/Generated.pm
92:             'HAS_AIO' => 1,
110:             'aio' => 'define',

... and this is on two boxes (one Ubuntu, one Debian) where I'm sure I
never did anything special to install AIO.

And so even with your patch applied, when you run Configure.pl you don't
detect the presence of AIO -- am I understanding you correctly?

The probe file in question has not been substantively altered in four
years, so if you feel it should be rewritten, please feel free to submit
a different patch.

HTH

kid51