On Feb 24, 6:05 am, markjr...@gmail.com ("Mark J. Reed") wrote:
> Fair enough: official TAI is only known exactly after the fact.

Does "official TAI" means what BIPM says it means, and just plain
"TAI" means whatever perl6 wants it to mean?

TAI is an achievement for technical merits, but even moreso for
diplomatic merits.  It is the time to which any who choose are allowed
to contribute in order that it be "international".  As such its
characteristics are unsuitable for the purposes of operational
systems, thus the distinct but TAI-like GPS time, Galileo System Time,
BeiDou System Time.  Will "TAI" as used by perl6 be as technically
well-defined and diplomatically astute as "official TAI"?

> Comparing this to the POSIX situation is a rather harsh overstatement,
> I feel.

I suspect that for the BIPM being off by 10 ns is more annoying than
POSIX being off by 1 s.
I urge that perl6 only use unadorned "TAI" for purposes approved by
the folks at BIPM.

> the only mention
> of TAI is in reference to its initialization point of
> 1958-01-01T00:00:00 (or MJD 36204.0, if you prefer) as one of the
> predefined epochs.

As a practical matter the era of atomic time as civil time began
1972-01-01.  Prior to then there were only a handful of folks outside
of national metrology institutes who had access to TAI.  What does TAI
mean in perl6 before that date?