Em Sáb, 2010-03-20 às 12:16 +0300, Richard Hainsworth escreveu:
> Suppose we define a domain of stability as syntax/functionality/features
> that will not be changed until a milestone is reached, with the
> guarantee that if the language specification changes before then,
> backwards compatibility will be retained so that the
> syntax/feature/functionality will continue to function without a need to
> change it or the surrounding code.

I think this is more a case for versioned dependencies.

I'm not sure this is written down anywhere in the spec, but I guess
there should be a way to tell "this code was written targetting version
$x of the implementation $y" - if the code is compiled to bytecode that
is really easy.

Then the implementation might have a way to adapt itself to provide the
intended semantics.

Of course this requires an entire different set of maintainance
challenges, including a very precise delta documentation and probably a
lot of coercion functions, i.e: coerce from Int version 0.003 to Int
0.004 back and forth.

That way we have both the grammar, the CORE and the setting being
versioned, and it will be easier to adapt for the future...

daniel