On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:53 PM, John Siracusa <sirac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if the intersection of people who speak English and
> people who program is better or worse than average when it comes to
> grammar, but I do know (from editing my share of writing) that the
> average is very bad and, further, that many programmers do not speak
> English as a first language, or at all.

Adjectives and nouns aren't English-only. So Damian's proposal is
multi-culti. One could argue that Perl's identifiers, keywords, etc
are based on English so that it is more difficult for a non-English
speaker to discern why underscore is used in some places and hyphens
in other. The solution to that would be rote memorization of method
names, including "_" and "-" in the spelling. Not ideal, but most
likely what many English speaking programmers would do too. And would
cuss over.