> From: Mark J. Reed [mailto:markjr...@gmail.com]
[...]
> Perl borrows vocabulary almost exclusively from English, but it is
> not English, and its conventions are not those of English.  (And the
> conventions around hyphens that people are citing are quite specifically
> those of standard written English; other writing systems, even those using
> the same alphabet and mostly the same punctuation, have different rules).

Consider s/English/Linux/ for example. :-)

One consideration leading up to allowing "-" in P6 identifiers (initially in
the context of an optional syntax-tweaking module) involved compatibility with
fairly common usage in {directory and file} names (where spaces are avoided for
cross-platform reasons). I've always thought {Lisp variable names and
Unix/Linux file names} with hyphens (versus underscores) were {more readable
and substantially easier to type (during long typing sessions)}.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_thread/thread/1625baa7eead0d71/

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_thread/thread/e6cc5dc9360ada36/c59f2fb1f49b80f5?lnk=gst&q=r28689#c59f2fb1f49b80f5

> I would personally like to see hyphens used as the standard word separator,
> with underscores available for exceptions - say, naming a Perl interface
> method exactly the same as the underlying C function it provides access to.
[...]

++!

Best regards,
Conrad