On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 17:20 -0700, yary wrote:
> Adjectives and nouns aren't English-only. So Damian's proposal is
> multi-culti. One could argue that Perl's identifiers, keywords, etc
> are based on English so that it is more difficult for a non-English
> speaker to discern why underscore is used in some places and hyphens
> in other. The solution to that would be rote memorization of method
> names, including "_" and "-" in the spelling. Not ideal, but most
> likely what many English speaking programmers would do too. And would
> cuss over.

And there's the rub for me.  One of the goals of Perl 6 is to reduce the
amount of rote memorization of special cases that Perl 5 required.  Any
mixed use of _ and - in the standard setting defies that goal.

(FWIW, I don't really care which is used -- I see arguments for both --
but I do firmly believe the standard setting should only use one or the
other.  Damian's Temporal example in which only one method used a
different separator made the rules-versus-exceptions part of my brain
scream for mercy.)

-'f