On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:45:26AM +0100, Moritz Lenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your report
>
> Am 19.11.2010 09:24, schrieb Ian Kent:
> >I've been trying to build Rakudo from source using Ubuntu Server 10.10.
> >Configure.pl ran successfully but running make always ends with the
> >following error:
> >make: *** [src/gen/perl6-grammar.pir] Killed
> >
> >Am I doing something wrong or am I just missing some library or other?
>
> I'd guess that you ran into some sort of resource limit: either the
> memory was exhausted, or there's a CPU time limit or something.
>
> Could you please check that? let a program like top or htop running
> while you're compiling, and see if the current process uses up all
> memory. Also check the output of 'ulimit -a' (or post it here if you
> don't know how to read it.

It's definitely memory exhaustion.  Linux sends SIGKILL to processes when
memory is exhausted; there are detailed diagnostics in the kernel message log,
displayed by the 'dmesg' command.

Building Rakudo requires quite a bit of memory (it varies quite a bit
from release to release, I've seen a range of 400MB to 2000MB).

Actually the most memory-intensive stage is src/gen/core.pir.  Failure during
grammar.pir indicates that you are *well* below the minimum requirement.  Are
you trying to build this on a 128MB VM slice or something?

-sorear