On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:28:09PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 11:01 AM 8/1/00 -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> >The word "pluggable" gives me the willies.  I feel like things like
> >REs should have one blessed implementation and set of capabilities.

The key point here is *one blessed implementation*.

If people *want* to say "use My::New:Regex;" and have that install a
new regex implementation for that lexical scope then we should allow that.

I don't see it even being a major technical challenge (assuming a vtable
interface for major subsystems like the regex library, there are other
ways of course).

I doubt we'll see multiple regex engines but should shouldn't presume to
stand in the way of making it possible.

Tim.